Keanu Reeves has been a hot topic lately. He has been named the “Internet’s boyfriend”. Reeves has mostly stayed out of the public spotlight, choosing to live a quieter life than most celebrities. Yet, when he does pop up, he seems to be doing kind acts and basically being a total badass human being. So I decided to put together a list of a few lessons we can all learn from Keanu Reeves.
- Do things that scare you. Keanu once said “F*ck the bucks-I’m going for the experience in the things I was choosing. I put my head down and went after roles that scared me.” Facing your fears stretches your comfort zone. The more you face your fears, the easier it becomes and the more confident you become in taking chances. Most fears are only in our minds anyway. (Legal disclaimer: this does not include trying to fight a bear, ride a shark, or any other activity that is designed by nature to kill you.)
- Do what you love. Don’t work for the money if your job makes you miserable. Money does not buy happiness. Go after the work that makes you light up and makes you want to get up in the morning.
- You are responsible for your own life and choices. “When you truly understand Karma, then you realize you are responsible for everything in your life. It is incredibly empowering to know that your future is in your hands.” -Reeves
- Be kind. In a 2014 interview on the Meredith Viera Show, Octavia Spencer shared how Keanu stopped to help her after she got stranded on her way to an audition early in her career. In 2017, a video surfaced showing Keanu giving up his seat on the subway.
- Be humble. Keanu Reeves has never let fame go to his head. He feels he is just like anyone else. He is known for his willingness to help others. He was once photographed sharing drinks and snacks and listening the stories of a homeless man.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Reeves has been in at least 69 movies. Some were hits, many were not. Sometimes you are the winner, the big shot, the one on top. Sometimes you are the loser and holding on to the bottom rung. All of it is just part of life.
- Enjoy life. Keanu was quoted as saying, “Sometimes we get so caught up in our daily lives that we forget to take the time out to enjoy the beauty in life.” Find the good things going on in your life and be grateful for them. If you aren’t happy in your life, make small changes (or big changes) to design the life that you want. Everyone deserves happiness.
- Take the red pill. Take chances and get out of your comfort zone.
- You can survive grief and heartache. Keanu knows more than most about grief and heartbreak. He lost his close friend, River Phoenix when they were in their early 20s. He and his girlfriend, Jennifer Syme, lost their baby when Syme was eight months pregnant. Eighteen months later, Syme died in a car crash. He once said, “Much of my appreciation of life has come through loss.”
- Try everything that interests you. Some you will like, some not so much. Some will be successes, some will be learning experiences disguised as failures.
So make today count and be a badass human being like Keanu. I will leave you with this Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure quote: “The best time to be is now, and all’s we can say is….let’s rock!”